Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Join Daisy Whitney's Cable-Free Army.


You know how when you start something new you want to reinforce the purchase by having EVERYONE ELSE YOU POSSIBLY CAN join you? Well, I kind of feel that way about ditching cable. You see, I gave it up two months ago. The reason? To test the untethered lifestyle for my TVWeek.com weekly column. I decided to do this because more consumers are cutting the cord and flying free, going without cable and satellite programming. To live the broadband-powered life, you need a combination of Apple TV, Hulu, maybe a little Boxee, Netflix and, in a perfect world, the Xbox. With this combination, plus a little elbow grease, persistence and rebellious nature, you’ll enjoy the benefits of saving $100, plus or minus, a month. The drawbacks are a little more hunting and pecking, so to speak, when you want to watch something. Oh, and you have to pretend too. For instance, I pretend Grey’s Anatomy premieres new episodes on Fridays now because that’s when the Thursday night episode posts on ABC.com. Anyway, the point is – the water’s nice, won’t you come join me? Because my dream for 2009 is to amass an army of fellow cord-cutters, of daring early adopters who are ready to take the plunge and swim in these cable-free waters with me.

Daisy Whitney
California

Welcome Daisy Whitney. My guess, based on everything I know, is that we could be hearing more about going cable-free, and Grey's Anatomy, in future posts. And much, much more. Scott Lackey, Cable Marketing

No comments: